GIANT STEPS IN HEALTH
Designed to provide adults with a sustainable health plan, focussing on chronic disease & weight loss over a 12 week program.
Chronic diseases are the leading cause of disability, illness and death in Australia and the greatest burden on our health system. They accounted for 90% of all deaths in 2011, and the rates are increasing each year. Many people have more than 1 chronic illness or condition at the same time. These conditions include high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, vascular diseases and type 2 diabetes.
This unique GIANTS initiative acted as a motivational tool to better the physiological health of 100 participants through a 10-week health management program. The remarkable success in our GIANTS health program in 2017/18 saw 100 participants complete a 10-week program with a total of 1570kg of weight lost, with participants losing an average of 15.7kg.
The objective of the program is to improve the chronic diseases of people who reside in the Greater Western Sydney region. This will be done through their participation in a 10-week chronic disease management program.
- Weight loss of at least 10% initial body weight. This amount of weight loss has been scientifically shown to not only improve many chronic diseases but also begin to reverse their effects.
- Reduce blood pressure readings into a healthier range (Systolic >140; Diastolic >90)
- Reduce resting blood sugar readings to below 7
- Reduce cholesterol to below 5.6
- Educate the participants on how to fit healthier behaviours into their lifestyle
- Weight Loss
- Improvements in blood pressure and cholesterol
- Improvements in Type 2 Diabetes
- Improvements in sleep apnoea
- Increased energy and general health
- Decrease in medications